Friday, January 1, 2010

Number Eleven: Eat More Turnip Greens

MMMM, New Year's Day and the smell of turnip greens and black eyed peas is wafting through the house. In the south we always say you have to eat black eyed peas on New Year's day for luck and the greens for money.

My lovely Wisconsin wife has mastered the essentials of southern cuisine. Her corn bread is tastier than my mom's (who doesn't have internet access so I'm safe in saying that), and today we're feasting on a mélange of turnips and collards served with Hopping John. Yum.

I've been thinking that turnips should appear on our weekly menu more often. I bought a bunch yesterday for 49 cents. Adding more greens can make a significant dent in the food budget. They are inexpensive and healthier than just about any thing you eat. Turnips are a veritable vitamin store in green leafy goodness, filled with vitamins K,A,C,Bs,and E to name just a few. Here's more information on turnips than you probably want to know

I used to sell turnip and mustard seed for about 50 cents an ounce. In the south the greens would grow well into the winter. I'll be adding them to our garden in the spring.

Do your body a kindness, eat more turnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment